Table of contents
xcutsel - interchange between cut buffer and selection
xcutsel [ -toolkitoption ... ] [ -selection selection ] [ -cutbuffer number ]
The xcutsel program is used to copy the current selection into a
cut buffer and to make a selection that contains the current contents of
the cut buffer. It acts as a bridge between applications that don't support
selections and those that do.
By default, xcutsel will use the selection named PRIMARY and the cut
buffer CUT_BUFFER0. Either or both of these can be overridden by command
line arguments or by resources.
An xcutsel window has the following buttons:
The button labels reflect the selection and cutbuffer selected by
command line options or through the resource database.
- When this button is pressed, xcutsel exits. Any selections held by xcutsel are automatically released.
- copy PRIMARY to 0
- When this button is pressed, xcutsel copies the current selection into the cut buffer.
- copy 0 to PRIMARY
- When this button is pressed, xcutsel converts the current contents of the cut buffer into the selection.
When the ``copy 0 to PRIMARY'' button is activated, the button will
remain inverted as long as xcutsel remains the owner of the
selection. This serves to remind you which client owns the current
selection. Note that the value of the selection remains constant;
if the cutbuffer is changed, you must again activate the copy button
to retrieve the new value when desired.
Xcutsel accepts all of the standard X Toolkit command line options as well as the following:
This program accepts all of the standard X Toolkit resource names and classes as well as:
- -selection name
- This option specifies the name of the selection to use. The default is
PRIMARY. The only supported abbreviations for this option are ``-select'',
``-sel'' and ``-s'', as the standard toolkit option ``-selectionTimeout'' has a similar name.
- -cutbuffer number
- This option specifies the cut buffer to use. The default is cut buffer 0.
The following instance names may be used when user configuration of the labels in them is desired:
- selection (class Selection)
- This resource specifies the name of the selection to use. The default is PRIMARY.
- cutBuffer (class CutBuffer)
- This resource specifies the number of the cut buffer to use. The default is 0.
text widget documentation, individual client documentation for how to make a selection.
There is no way to change the name of the selection or the number of the cut buffer while the program is running.
Ralph R. Swick, DEC/MIT Project Athena
- sel-cut (class Command)
- This is the ``copy SELECTION to BUFFER'' button.
- cut-sel (class Command)
- This is the ``copy BUFFER to SELECTION'' button.
- quit (class Command)
- This is the ``quit'' button.
Table of contents
The Xming website, documentation and images are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Copyright © 2005-2021 Colin Harrison All Rights Reserved